2011 Highlights

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Happy Holidays!

It seems the past month has had several celebrations, and it has been GREAT! We've had a couple of opportunities to spend with family and to work on building traditions and I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

Probably one of my favorite new things with each holiday is getting Ellie involved in it. She still doesn't understand many of the events that pass, but I get excited for her. "Ellie, come find your basket!" "Okay, Ellie, now let's go outside and look for your eggs!" "Ellie, let's try some of this yummy candy!" (That last one didn't take much coaxing to enjoy) I get excited to see her reaction and let her create wonderful family memories just like I have, and I know things will only get better as the years go by.

This year we did things with "The Bunny" on Saturday. Easter Bunny gladly agreed to stop by a day early so we could keep Sunday more reverent and remember that the real reason for Easter is our Savior. It was a very good day.

And here we have May Day. Ha. Actually, it wasn't quite May 1 yet. It was April 29, but that's pretty close. And how do we welcome May here in Idaho Falls??? Like a lion! (You know, the phrase that says March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb...but our lion stays through May, or even June sometimes). I know I shouldn't be surprised, but every time I look out the window and see more spring snow I think, "Seriously?"

Another fun event was the Prom. Yes, my Eric and I went to Prom. And I must say it was wonderful. The soft rock radio station here in town hosts what is called "Second Chance Prom" every spring and this was the first year we went. Eric asked me out by sending me on an easter egg hunt and I replied with a note in his sandwich. The tickets were free, the dancing was free. Good music, yummy food, lots of people, and we TORE IT UP!!! I love love LOVE having a dancer of a husband because it is so fun. He sweeps me off my feet every time. =) Cheap date! And it turned out great. We might just have to make it an annual event.

Adding to the list of holidays: Mother's Day! We actually spent Mother's Day weekend down in Utah with lots of family. My sister's beautiful baby girl, Alice, was blessed (and her husband did an amazing job bearing his testimony and giving a beautiful blessing, by the way), so I got to see my mom and sisters and chill. It was very fun for all of us. We also visited Eric's family (lots of visiting) so it was a good trip. Mostly though, I am so so grateful to be this adorable little girl's mother. She lights my heart with her smile and makes every day chores fun by making me laugh (like when she tried eating pansies outside today =). I LOVE HER! My sweet Ellie Bellie. I'm so glad to be a mom.

And last, but not least, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, HONEY! We hit our 2-year mark (woo! I know it probably seems like nothing compared to you experienced couples) and it seems both short and long at the same time. "It feels like we've been married for forever! And yet, 2 years! That went quick!" Weird oxymoron. For our anniversary, Eric took us to Boise and took me on a surprise date while my parents watched Ellie. We dressed up, ate out at the Olive Garden, and then attended the traveling Broadway musical: "Wicked"! Sweet!!! Eric watched it years ago while working a bit in Chicago and his descriptions always peaked my curiosity. I've listened to the soundtrack many times but didn't have all the pieces to the story put together until we watched it in person. It was SO FUN! Loved the music and acting. Fun story. Great ending. It was a very special treat to celebrate "us." Thank you, Eric. What a sweet husband I have =)

We parked at the public library instead of paying for parking at the Morrison Center and so walked in the rain. It made for a nice "singing in the rain" experience of our own.
And finally, I must thank my parents for all their help and support. I only regret that on these visits I haven't taken any pictures of them! I know they wouldn't want them, but I do. And my kids will. So, we'll see what we can do about that in the future...

I love holidays!



2 comments:

Christy said...

WOW. You guys have been tearing up the fun on the dance floor and everywhere else!! You guys are awesome. Congrats on two years too!

Ben and Sabrina said...

congrats on two years! It sounds like you guys have been living it up! I've heard of the play "Wicked" but haven't seen it yet. Glad you three are having a good time.

Our Fairy Tale

Our Fairy Tale
Happily Ever After Begins Now

How It All Began...

He was a popular swing dancer; she spent her time doing art. Little did they know that a chance meeting in a college racquetball class was only the first of many times their paths would cross. As circumstance would have it, they were only good friends at the beginning. He went his way and she went hers, pushing toward some landmark in the distance, some dream of the future. There was trial and error, success and disappointment, learning and growth. When the dust finally settled they were amazed to find their sights had led them to the same spot. Who can say why the long road or how it all happened? Who can tell if any of the “what ifs” could compare with the present? Or even the future? No one but an all-seeing architect who created the plans long ago. What lies in store for two so heaven-matched? Nothing short of long-awaited hopes coming true and far surpassing expectation.


AMANDA AND ERIC FOREVER!