2011 Highlights

Thursday, November 13, 2008

"Shall Give Thee Experience"

What do you think?


So, a month ago was the deadline for the art competition hosted by the Church's history museum.  I was working on a painting to enter and barely finished in time to be an official entry (I always seem to be working up to the last minute on things).  As of yet I haven't heard anything back, but that's not so important to me.  Mostly I painted to portray a feeling and a lesson I am learning through life, and especially now.  The picture is of towering Giant Sequoia trees with the evidences of fire below.  However, at bottom center is a tiny sapling beginning to grow.  For anyone unfamiliar with Redwood trees, they are serotinous which means their seeds open only under intense heat.  Generally this means fire.  This is a handy survival technique because once the fire has destroyed the surrounding competition it leaves plenty of room and fertile soil for the new trees to grow.  I love the symbolism here because our lives are the same way.  Sometimes Heavenly Father teaches us and prepares us to grow through very difficult, very fiery experiences.  But through it all, His merciful hand is always extended and sees us through.  And because of Him we grow to become more than we ever imagined.

7 comments:

Our Family said...

HOLY COW AMANDA!! THIS PICTURE IS AMAZING!! I LOVE IT! IF YOU DON'T WIN THAT CONTEST, THEY ARE CRAZY! WOW! I AM VERY IMPRESSED! When do you hear back from the competition? I will be very surprised if you don't win. WOW!!

Christy said...

WOW! I am amazed! That was said perfectly, and so deep! Hope you win, thanks for sharing with all of us!

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

You amaze me! I absolutely love it-I thought it was a picture out of a magazine at first-really amazing!! great job!! I love the whole symbolism behind it all-

Sibber said...

I LOVE IT!! You are my inspiration! I would have you win the prize for sure! Great picture... great story behind it! You are amazing like that... I love ya!

Pattie D said...

Amanda,
Here is a blast from your past! this is AMAZING! And I am with Heather you should win, but I understand the whole way you feel. I absolutely love your symbolism also,you are such a special daughter of God, I am glad to see you have kept your divinity and let it shine. Keep us posted on your competition.
And ps, people can get your picture off the net like you have it....watermark it or something, I would hate for your talent to be exploited in any way.
Love ya
Sister Clayton

Julie said...

BEAUTIFUL! As everything that you do is. If only you saw the beauty in all your work. You are AMAZING! Never forget it!

Swa said...

I love it! You've got such an amazing talent.

Our Fairy Tale

Our Fairy Tale
Happily Ever After Begins Now

How It All Began...

He was a popular swing dancer; she spent her time doing art. Little did they know that a chance meeting in a college racquetball class was only the first of many times their paths would cross. As circumstance would have it, they were only good friends at the beginning. He went his way and she went hers, pushing toward some landmark in the distance, some dream of the future. There was trial and error, success and disappointment, learning and growth. When the dust finally settled they were amazed to find their sights had led them to the same spot. Who can say why the long road or how it all happened? Who can tell if any of the “what ifs” could compare with the present? Or even the future? No one but an all-seeing architect who created the plans long ago. What lies in store for two so heaven-matched? Nothing short of long-awaited hopes coming true and far surpassing expectation.


AMANDA AND ERIC FOREVER!